I don't like anything about the word "crafty" but, as room parent for my son's classroom I am always in charge of coming up with crafts. We search magazines and the web to try and find new ideas for crafts that are more our style. It does take a little more time and effort but, in the end we are always happy that we thought outside of the box. After seeing the finished product, I thought this would actually make a great centerpiece or favor for a baby shower. Just choose paper that is in the color group or theme you are working with.
Here's what you'll need.
- Small plastic or terra cotta pots. (We found biodegradable bamboo pots 2/$.99 at the $.99 Store)
- One block of styrofoam cut into 2" squares (any color)
- Lollipop sticks in two different sizes
- Scrapbook paper or card stock of your choice
- Shredded paper or Easter grass
- Egg shaped candy or jelly beans.
- Strong, clear tape
- Bird template... you can download it here or draw a simple shape.
You can add a banner with your own spring greeting or
if using these as baby shower favors print Welcome Baby (last name.)
You can also use smaller pots to use as place settings.
- Trace bird silhouettes (1 sm. & 1 lg.) on the card stock or scrapbook paper & cut out shapes.
- Cut styrofoam into two inch squares and place in the bottom of the pot.
- Add your nesting material to the pot
- Attach the lollipop sticks with clear tape to the back of the birds.
- Press sticks firmly down into the styrofoam.
- Add your eggs & banner and you're done.