Saturday, April 30, 2011

Meet the girl behind miss elaini ous!

Photo Credit: Christa Taylor Photography
Elaini is my dear friend. 
I met her in 2008 when B.Y.O.G. was in its infancy!  She sent an email one day asking if she could order gowns without the usual pregnancy related packaging. The gowns were for a 17 year old girl named Marissa.  Marissa was battling cancer and enduring long hospital stays while she received treatment.  Elaini wanted her to feel pretty and have something modest to wear. She thought our hospital gowns would do the trick.  I thought it was so sweet of Elaini to buy the gowns for her friend but, as it turned out, at the time Elaini had never even met Marissa!  She read an article about her in the local newspaper and  followed her heart...amazing!  I was so touched by her gesture and wanted to help too.  We began to converse back and forth about her first visit to see Marissa in the hospital and after that she was kind enough to send updates.  (I'm happy to report that it has been almost two years since Marissa's successful bone marrow transplant!)

Elaini & Marissa in her gown 
We instantly became friends and our friendship progressed from occasional emails to long chats on the phone.  We've laughed together, prayed together and shared our dreams with one another.  Now one of Elaini's dreams is about to come true!  She is about to begin a 100 day journey and I am so excited for her and inspired by her!  Elaini will launch her blog
Sunday, May 1st! 
Elaini has designed a black dress that she will be wearing for 100 days.  She will be modeling it on her blog daily but, it's really not about her or the dress though. It's about orphans in India.  Here's an excerpt from her blog...

"Orphans in India can’t go to school without a uniform. However, they often don’t have clothes to wear. Growing up surrounded by turmoil, human trafficking, and loss, an education can help these orphans dream about a different life. I have been given so much that I can have “fashion,” while these children struggle to stay clothed. I have to do something. I’m hoping you’ll do it with me.



Here’s the deal: I’ll wear a black dress for several months (don’t worry—I’ll have two of the exact same style so that I don’t start smelling) to identify with the children who only have one outfit. I’ll accessorize it in different ways, take a picture every day, and blog it. Think of it as a dress marathon.



Here’s where you can help. I want to raise $50,000 for the orphans in India. I’m going to wear this dress as a reminder of these children. Would you help me help them? Through partnering with Warm Blankets Orphan Care, let’s dream big for these children who may never get the chance to dream at all unless we do something. Even the smallest gift will make a difference."


P.S. if you want to donate accessories, etc. just contact me at misselaini@gmail.com

So tomorrow please drop by miss elaini ous and say hi to Elaini!  If you are touched by her, support her cause any way you can.  A donation (small or large), send her a fun accessory (100 days in the same dress is a long time!) visit her blog, leave a comment or send an email.  Anything, to let her know that what she is doing is already making a difference:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment