Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Happy Wednesday!

When I was a newlywed I lived at the beach on the Balboa Peninsula. One morning I was running out the door to work and there was a little Sea Lion on my door step looking up at me. I didn't know what to do and knew that If I called in late to the office because I had a sea lion on my doorstep they would probably have a straight jacket waiting for me when I arrived! My husband and I tried to coax it back to the water by leaving a trail of tropical fish food that we had in the freezer. We were fresh out of sea lion food that day! We were walking back and forth trying to find something to entice him with. He was following us back and forth and had no plans of leaving! Then my husband pulled a moving blanket out of the garage, we called him over (like he was a dog?) He waddled up on the blanket. We each took one end and carried him (inside the blanket) back to the beach! When I visualize it now...I'm surprised my neighbors didn't call the police. It probably looked like we were disposing of a dead body! (Gladys Kravitz must of slept in that morning.) Our sea lion friend accepted his ride back to the shore, then turned around and waddled his way to land, down the sidewalk and back to our garage. Thoughts of this creature becoming our new pet and living in my bath tub (like Andre') ran through my head. I forgot all about this ordeal until I saw this cute little guy who kept poking his head into our shot and making my son and his friends belly laugh! As we were walking away from the Sea Lion pool, Noah asked me with a serious face and wanting a real answer, "Mommy, can we have a sea lion?"

P.S. We called the Marine Mammal rescue when they opened and they told us that they were pretty sure they knew who we were talking about. He had been in a little bit of mischief before and they had received many calls about him from the locals.
So "Andre" the street smart sea lion was fine.

Thankful that we did not miss out on this field trip!!! Being sick is the pits and I'm so grateful that we are healthy again! Happy Wednesday:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment